Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Asian American Hip-Hop

This is a very rough outline, but I've included the format that I'd like to include, as well as artists that I'd like to explore and their contributions to the hip hop community. I'm not sure if I want to include breakdancing or info about producers. I found several media clips that I'll plan to add

General History of Hip-Hop in Asian America

Timeline of Asians in Hip-Hop
Key dates
1990s emergence…politically charged groups
1995 release of Key Kool album
1998 re-emergence of music
2004 first Asian American to get signed to a major label

Influences/Contributions to the Hip-Hop Community & Culture
Fusion of traditional Asian music with American music
Transition into mainstream culture
Offering of new perspectives to Hip-Hop

Artists
Jin
Illmind
Mountain Brothers
Asiatic Apostles
Yellow Peril
Seoul Brothers
Key Kool & DJ Rhemmatic
Jamez
Tom Shimura
Visionaries

DJs
DJ Phatrick
Filipino American DJS
DJ Q-Bert

Regions
New York
Los Angeles
New Jersey
California

Breakdancing?
Media Outlets
Producers

Quote that I want to include in the general overview
"Hip Hop is American. I mean we're Asians, but the problem is we got to look at ourselves as American before we look at ourselves as Asians. Just because you're doing hip hop doesn't mean you're doing a black thing. You're doing an American thing", says Chung.

Sources
Le, C.N. 2009. "Martial Arts, Video Games, & Hip-Hop." Asian-Nation: The Landscape of Asian America. (March 17, 2009).

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:93KTPAJcgocJ:yellowworld.org/arts_culture_media/282.html+asian+american+rappers&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari
Rap's freshest face is Asian American By Alona Wartofsky | Special to The Washington Post
http://www.modelminority.com/article924.html

http://asianweek.com/111298/coverstory.html
Asian Americans and hip-hop By Oliver Wang
Mog.com

5 comments:

  1. Do you have names of artists of groups that go along with the date you have at the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee Tajima-Pena interviewed the Seoul Brothers in her documentary "My America...Or Honk If You Love Buddha." It's pretty interesting and worth checking out/watching online if you have time. I think she might interview other Asian American musicians but I can't be sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. I like these concepts: "Influences/Contributions to the Hip-Hop Community & Culture; Fusion of traditional Asian music with American music; Transition into mainstream culture
    Offering of new perspectives to Hip-Hop." I would really use these to guide your section

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look into Seamo and m-flo, there is not that much on them..some youtube stuff but they are less known.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think maybe more details in the history of Asians in hip hop would be really helpful.

    ReplyDelete